Info pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The man behind the fight against Vedanta - Hindustan Times

The man behind the fight against Vedanta - Hindustan Times
("We were on our way to Delhi for a meeting," he said as we waited for Rahul Gandhi's rally in Lanjigarh, a village in the Niyamgiri foothills. Suddenly, 15 plainclothes men with machine guns stopped the car and took me away. They beat me up. 'You are a Maoist,' they said. They took me to Rajgarh police station, where I was further beaten."

Majhi was picked up because he was a leader of Niyamgiri Suraksha Parishad (NSP), a loosely-organised group of tribals and activists fighting the Orissa government and the Anil Agarwal-managed Vedanta Aluminium Ltd over extraction of bauxite from the Niyamgiri hills, home to 8,000 Dongria tribals.

"I have talked to Majhi," Kalahandi police chief Sudha Singh told HT when he was released on August 12.

"He will reach home by tomorrow.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home